Aceh Gayo Grade 1 Coffee Beans
The Gayo region is renown for producing a high quality Arabica and this coffee originates from the Pondok Baru and Redelong villages within the Bener Meriah Regency, at the northern part of Central Aceh.
Grown between 1200-1400 MASL, this Typica varietal is wet-hulled in the traditional Sumatran method and is everything we have come to love and expect from a great Sumatran coffee.
A fresh arrival in August 2016, this superb coffee will be our feature Sumatran for the remainder of calendar 2016.
Sumatran coffees are unique in the coffee universe - they are processed in ways that are different to all other coffee growing origins. This unique and distinctive preparation is what generates that famous body and intensity.
What makes Sumatran coffees so special ?
- Intense body - that viscosity element filling your mouth and rounding out everything - coating all surfaces of your palate with a thick syrupy substance that, well..... lasts for ages.
- Bold intensity - whilst Sumatrans are typically low in acid, they exhibit incredible flavour with lemony acids and complex spices that persist through to the long finish.
- Buttery mid-palate - there is a level of richness from Sumatrans that makes for a pleasant experience from ultra smooth, silky delivery of flavours.
- In milk, Sumatrans are a perfect marriage made in heaven - they balance superbly with caramel, toffee and chocolate notes. When combined with legendary long finishes, it's no surprise that roasting companies around the world continue scrambling to get their hands on great quality Sumatrans.
- Dark cup with blackcurrant and soft cedar notes upfront. Coriander seed mid-palate.
- Toffee and dark fruit sweetness throughout. Well balanced, tart, sustained acid and syrupy, full body.
- Intense, very long burnt toffee and molasses finish. Coating and lingering.
- Score : 84.00
This coffee represents everything we love about quality Sumatran coffees.
A fresh crop arrival in August 2016, this coffee displays everything we have come to understand about quality Sumatran coffees over the last 35 years.
Dark, brooding and enigmatic, this coffee will change the way you think about Sumatra as a coffee producer.
For those that love a full flavoured, intense and bold bodied coffee with a super-long finish.
Toffee and molasses.